1971-1978: The Franklin Institute and the Early Years
CCTC is founded in 1971 by Dr. Louise Sandler under the name “Center for Early Childhood Services.” It was originally a research demonstration project funded by a federal grant from the then US Bureau of Education for the Handicapped.
The program is housed in the basement of the Franklin Institute and supported by Hahnemann University Hospital.
1978-1997: A Home Base at 1823 Callowhill Street
In 1978, CCTC moves to 1823 Callowhill Street and becomes a 501(c)(3).
The preschool project which began as the research demonstration study becomes the Therapeutic Nursery (TN).
CCTC begins providing psychological testing services to children ages 3 to 13.
In 1989, CCTC launches the first early childhood trauma program in Philadelphia..
In 1996, CCTC begins providing “Wrap-Around” services, also known as Behavioral Health Rehabilitation Services (BHRS), aimed at serving children in their communities, and improving family functioning and child’s coping and adaptive skills.
Also in 1996, CCTC’s Board of Director’s, Chaired by Felecia Weiss hosted the First Annual western-themed “Roundup” fundraiser.
1997-2009: The Expansion Years: Community and School Based Programming
In 1998, CCTC launches the Intensive Case Management (ICM) program, which provides Care Coordination services to families of children throughout the city.
In 1999, CCTC opens its first Summer Therapeutic Enrichment Program (STEP) Camp program for children in the city of Philadelphia.
CCTC’s first School Based Behavioral Health Services program begins in the fall of 2001 at Ferguson and Bache Martin Elementary Schools. That same year the Consultation and Education (C & E) Program begins in the partner schools.
In 2001, CCTC opens Tamaa, a program designed to provide trauma treatment services to a large and rapidly growing West-African refugee population in Southwest Philadelphia.
In 2001 the First Annual Cruise for the Kids takes place at Rock Lobster co-chaired by Gabe Canuso and Corie (Cutler) Moscow. This event was also the start of CCTC’s young professional group, the Friends of CCTC.
In 2002, CCTC opens the CARE (Children Achieve through Re-Education) Program at Julia De Burgos Elementary School.
By 2003, CCTC’s BHRS Department had grown to become one of the largest of its kind in Philadelphia.
Parent Caregiver Services/Filial Program is formed.
In 2007, CCTC begins providing Family-Based Services, sending teams of clinicians to work with children and families in their homes.
From 2006 to 2009 CCTC begins providing specialized programming in schools through our Therapeutic Emotional Support Classrooms Program.
2009-Present: Leadership, Integration and Partnership
In 2009, Caring Families of CCTC is formed, a parent advisory group made up of past and current parents and caregivers of children receiving our services.
From 2009-2011, CCTC begins increasing its focus on evidence- based practices and outcomes in all programs.
In 2011, CCTC begins expanding existing programming into partnering non-profits such as the People’s Emergency Center and West Philadelphia Achievement Charter School.
In 2012, in response to the growing needs of the Mexican community in South Philadelphia, CCTC opens Abriendo Caminos.
In March of 2013, CCTC consolidates 3 sites into a new headquarters at 1080 North Delaware Avenue, which now houses Administrative Services, Outpatient and Psychiatry Services, Trauma Services, Community Based Service staff and The Therapeutic Nursery.
In July of 2013, CCTC is awarded a contract to open an Acute Partial Hospitalization Program in Eastern North Philadelphia, due to open in Spring, 2014 as The Cornerstone Center.
Geographic expansion into Montgomery County will commence in Fall of 2014 beginning with Family-Based and Trauma Services in Year One and Outpatient Services in Year 2.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.